On 19th October the friends, family and colleagues of John Shortt will gather at Punchestown to celebrate his life. The day will feature a Legends Race, Legends Lunch and Legends Auction. Details of the day are outlined below.
During his long and hard fought battle with cancer John managed to achieve many life goals not least to marry his soul mate Anne Marie and watch his daughter Alex grow to a beautiful little girl. A week to the day before John passed away himself and Anne Marie celebrated the news that they had been granted planning permission to build their family home on a plot of land that John had secured. John Shortt passed away on 13th February 2017, his 53rd birthday.
The friends, family and colleagues of John would like to assist Anne Marie and Alex in making his dream become a reality hence the Legends Day at Punchestown where all proceeds will go towards building the house and securing his family's future.
This will be a gathering of riders who were friends of Johns throughout his career in the saddle. Many of whom haven’t ridden competitively in quite a while but have agreed to regain some element of fitness for this once off gathering of Legends and Bennys! The event will take part on the flat (a strict requirement of the riders involved) over 1 mile 4 furlongs of the Punchestown course prior to racing on the day. Each rider is trying to fundraise to support the cause and any sponsorship support would be greatly appreciated.
To date, riders who have committed to the Legends Jockeys Challenge include:
A Flat Race over 1m 4f. Weights 12st 7lb. Maximum 16 Runners
Conor O’Dwyer Luke Harvey
Peter Niven Jamie Osborne
Lorcan Wyer Paul Carberry
Brendan Sheridan Norman Williamson
Charlie Swan Martin Lynch
Graham Bradley Brendan Powell
Richard Hughes John Cullen
Andrew Coonan Philip Dempsey
Each rider has committed to raise funds toward the day and you can support by one of the following means:
Hosted in the recently launched La Touche Resturant over looking the famous Punchestown winners enclosure. The Legends Lunch will commence from 12.30pm. A four course lunch will be prepared and served by chef Fergal Nugent and his team. Aprés racing live entertainment featuring special guest Paddy Casey. Tables of ten are available from €2,500. A limited number of tables remain
What a list of items renouned auctioneer Nick Nugent will put under the hammer on 19th October. Below are some details with further additions available as the day approaches.
- Training fees for 12 months with Michael Halford (€15k bid currently)
- Training fees for 12 months with Jessica Harrington (€15k bid currently)
- A nomination to Mehmas for the Northern Hemisphere 2018 covering season kindly donated by Tally-Ho Stud and Al Shaqab (Minimum Reserve €10,000)
- Your very own private country house dinner party in Rathsallagh House prepared by Derry Clarke of L'Ecrivain in Dublin and hosted by Ruby Walsh. You and 19 of your friends will take over Rathsallagh House privately for one night and enjoy a fabulous dinner (wine included). This item also includes overnight accommodation and breakfast. (€5,000 bid currently)
- Return day flights, transfers and corporate hospitality for 2 people to the Cheltenham Festival 2018
- Return flights to the Dubai World Cup for 2 people, 2 nights accommodation in a 4 star hotel and tickets for the Dubai World Cup 2018
- Return flights to Dubrovnik for 2 people, 3 nights accommodation in a 4 star hotel with private boat hire for 4 hours included (Donated by Kevin and Una Manning)
- A round of golf with Sir AP McCoy and Ruby Walsh (This can be broken into 2 four balls)
- A VIP tri to Ballydoyle and Coolmore for six people including lunch in Fethard
- A return private jet trip for 6 people to the UK (this can be for a sporting or personal trip and return to Dublin does not have to be on the same date) kindly donated by Mr Rich and Mrs Susanna Ricci
- Terms and Conditions apply to the above items
All contributions gratefully received:
Donate by visiting www.gofundme.com/john-shortts-legends-day
Lodge to bank account
Account Name J Shortt Legends Race
Bank of Ireland
Ac No 41550121
Sort Code 90-60-05
Or donate by cheque
made payable to “J Shortt Legends Race” and send to Richie Galway, Punchestown Racecourse, Naas, Co Kildare
For further information please contact event organisers:
Audrey O’Dwyer by telephone on 086-9299221 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, Richie Galway on 087-6835983 or email email@example.com